Our original four boys came from Ardo Alpacas in Aberdeenshire. We are not alpaca breeders and have our boys purely as pets. Our experience is that you don't need to be a breeder and that a 'batchelor herd' can give much pleasure to the owner. We have 5 acres including our big garden and grazing for the boys, 15 miles north of Inverness, Scotland. I spin, knit, felt and crochet with the fleece from the boys.


Just a reminder that clicking on (most) of the photos will show them greatly enlarged.

Sunday, 29 July 2012

A good dusting down

On Thursday evening we got the call from Karen Robertson at the Farm Shop to say that husband Dave had got hay cut, dried and baled and it was ready for collection on the field.  We hooked up the trailer and and headed for nearby Beauly and loaded the first 26 bales (4 in the back of the 4 x 4 and 22 in the trailer!)  Got back home, dropped the hay in the drive, grabbed a cup of tea then returned for a second, identical load.  By that time the sun was setting as the photo shows but Dave and his team were still baling and stacking.  Back home again and as rain was forecast for overnight and Friday, we barrowed the initial 26 bales down to the steading and got them stacked, finishing at 11.15pm.  We left the second load in situ until Friday morning then, dodging the rain showers, got all 52 square bales safely stacked and secured in the steadings ready for winter feed.   Job done!
In anticipation of the hay arriving and in order to give us room to move the bales, we had decided to move the boys from the bottom to the top paddocks this week.  It's been another week of changeable weather from very hot to soaking wet.  We penned the boys one morning so that I could rub some fly cream on Faro's ears as he had some 'wee beasties' biting them.  I took the opportunity of rubbing some 'Ruggle-it' on Gully's chest which has dry skin on it and some on a bald patch on Wee Eck's ankles.  Gully's ears have cleared up now after I'd rubbed the cream on them about 10 days ago.  this photo shows the usual charge by the boys onto new grass when the gate is opened.  Fergus is in front with Faro just behind.
We know exactly what will happen when the boys get into the new paddocks within minutes they will be rolling in the dust as if they are greeting an old friend!  For this reason we leave laying bedding straw until this performance is over!  Gaucho is the first one in for a roll watched by his pal, Gully.
Gully's turn for a roll watched by Wee Eck and Rufus whilst Gaucho chews on new grass.
Gully is up on his feet so now it's Wee Eck's turn with Rufus just getting down on his knees in readiness.  Fergus has arrived to watch what is going on and queue up for a roll!  Gaucho is still enjoying the grass.
Now the dust is really flying as Wee Eck gets into his routine with Rufus and Gully watching and Fergus getting down on his knees for his turn.
Aaahh - thats better!   Wee Eck parades his new 'camouflage' look.
And finally........once the rolling routine is finished, time to enjoy the sunshine again.  Our new house is slowly taking shape above the paddocks.


  1. Those boys certainly know how to take a "bath"! Why is it that they love the dust sooo much...always leaves them looked aweful! The new house is really taking shape, looks fantastic; bet you can't wait to get moved in!

  2. Oh how lucky to have your hay stock. We haven't managed a single day without at least one downpour since cutting ours...not much dust around here I can tell you!

  3. Great photos, aren't they funny creatures with their strange routines and funny habits.

  4. Maybe by rolling they are able to scratch themselves on the straw and it makes them feel so good!! Funny how they take turns!! Your house is coming along it looks like!! Nice to have your hay in and ready for winter!! It's so hot here, and lots of rain. Having to cut the yard twice a week. But, I'd rather have the rain then the drought some of our States have....debbie