Our original four boys came from Ardo Alpacas in Aberdeenshire. We are not alpaca breeders and have our boys purely as pets. Our experience is that you don't need to be a breeder and that a 'batchelor herd' can give much pleasure to the owner. We have 5 acres including our big garden and grazing for the boys, 15 miles north of Inverness, Scotland. I spin, knit, felt and crochet with the fleece from the boys.


Just a reminder that clicking on (most) of the photos will show them greatly enlarged.

Sunday, 8 July 2018

Hay and shearing.

Another week of sweltering temperatures and the hay was ready for collection.   We got 42 'square' bales from Dave and Karen's hay field at the Beauly Farm Shop.  We almost ran out of hay over the long winter but were saved by Alison and Brendan at Seafield Alpacas, Portmahomack, Ross-shire who still had some bales from their own hay field. Who is that peeking out from behind the trailer by the way?
It took two runs to the hay field to collect the bales and the boys showed an immediate interest in the cargo!
Here they are sampling the goodies!  The fresh hay smelt lovely and was clearly irresistible to the boys.
The Grumpy Gardener only just managed to get the trailer unloaded whilst the boys crowded around. The hay was safely stored in the store which is part of their field shelter and another job we are always pleased to see completed before the winter.
Today has been shearing day and the recent temperatures have made it a long wait for the boys.  This is Fidget (left) and Fergus waiting (anxiously) for their turn to be sheared.
Once again it was a pleasure to see James Dixon assisted by Ginny getting rid of the fleecy coats.  This is is Fyta being sheared.
And soon it was all over, the boys were happy and obviously cooler as they started grazing - but they still used their water trays and troughs.
Faro looking sleek, with Fergus behind him and Fyta chewing hay further back. Shearing day is always an anxious time for humans hoping that the weather is going to behave - and it did!
And finally...........the Cardiocrinum Giganteum (Giant Himalayan Lily) is now nearly eight feet tall and the 'trumpet' flowers have started to develop.  Another photo next week when all the flowers should be on display.

No comments:

Post a comment