Our original four boys came from Ardo Alpacas in Aberdeenshire. We are not alpaca breeders and have our boys purely as pets. Our experience is that you don't need to be a breeder and that a 'batchelor herd' can give much pleasure to the owner. We have 5 acres including our big garden and grazing for the boys, 15 miles north of Inverness, Scotland. I spin, knit, felt and crochet with the fleece from the boys.


Just a reminder that clicking on (most) of the photos will show them greatly enlarged.

Sunday, 16 December 2018

Sunrise, a visit and a Kestrel.

Considering the dire weather warnings this week, we were lucky to have escaped the storm which hit further south. We've had a mixture of weather, including sunny days like this when Fyta (left) and Faro were more interested in a passing cat than they were in the human!
At the beginning of the week we had amazing sunrises, this was taken just after 8.00am when it was still quite gloomy and the boys were being fed.
The boys are not interested in fiery sunrises, only food, and they are at the bottom right of the photo eating their haylage as the light display goes on above them.
We had a lovely visit mid-week from Alison and Brendan of Seafield Alpacas at Portmahomack.  Visitors mean 'goodies' and the boys soon gather around.
Alison feeds Faro whilst Fyta and Fergus both try and get their heads into the bowl which I am holding!
Fidget is also with the group, on the right, but as always he tends to keep a respectable distance from humans!  It was lovely to see you once again Alison and Brendan, thanks for the visit.
By the end of the week the clear, starlit nights meant frost so the first morning task is to get rid of the ice from the water troughs.
And finally..............a sad ending to the blog.  Last weekend we had seen a Kestrel sitting on our garage roof then on the roof of a neighbour's house.  Normally a human coming close to a Kestrel would mean that the bird would immediately take off, but this one seemed to be unwilling to move, but eventually it did.  We felt that the bird was either unwell or injured. On Tuesday we found the bird lying dead in a paddock at the foot of a fence-post where presumably it had been sitting. It appeared uninjured so the cause of death is unknown.  We buried her with dignity in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment